Tuesday 21 April 2015

R is for Riquewihr



Riquewihr is a small, very picturesque, medieval town in the north east of France, in the Alsace region. The tower shown is the Dolder Tower, one of the entrances to the town.

Its current population is less than it was in 1793.  This is the fate of so many small towns in France. There is no work there.  Fortunately this one has the advantage of being so picturesque and has been described as one of the most beautiful villages in France.

Les Plus Beaux Villages de France is an independent organisation which lists many beautiful small towns and villages.  I haven't seen Riquewihr but I've seen several others: Collonges la Rouge, Saint Benoît du Sault, Séguret, to name a few.  They live almost entirely on tourism. It gives the place a very strange atmosphere, especially if you visit off season when they can seem like ghost towns.

3 comments:

  1. Oh this looks so pretty! I would want to visit this place and others-some of the nicest places are the small towns

    ReplyDelete
  2. whether it is a small town in France or else where all little towns are shrinking because of lack of jobs. Sad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a place I need to add to my ever growing list of places I'd like to travel. I like quiet, and quaint. And Historic.
    Sandy at Bridge and Beyond

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...